Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Bubble Tea and Books, Friends and Fighters, Musicians and Memories

Home again, home again. Vacation was so amazing, a complete whirlwind.

My husband (Mike) and I flew into Vancouver at 7:20am on Saturday the 12th of June. It was gorgeous weather and after a short ride on the Sky Train and a short walk we were at our destination; Brad and Souk’s house, also known as our ‘hotel’ for the week. Since it was still early and we hadn’t had much to eat, we walked with Brad to a small diner on Fraser Street that has probably been around since the 1930s for some delicious breakfast the went back ‘home’ to catch up and visit.

I ended up getting my tickets for the UFC, the guy who I bought them from nicely brought them to the area of Vancouver I was staying in and from there Mike and I headed down to the fights. I won’t bore you with talk of the fights (although they were far from boring) and just say that it was an amazing time and I enjoyed myself immensely. It was a once in a lifetime chance for me and worth the price of the tickets.

The rest of the week was a blur of activities, Sunday was spent lounging in the sun, Monday exploring all of Vancouver and going out at night, Tuesday was for watching the World Cup down on Commercial Drive with all the Brazilian fans and Wednesday was for hanging out with old friends and catching up.


Thursday was the concert. I am actually going to go into a bit of detail here because it was an amazing experience. A lot of people don’t understand my fascination with Japanese music, and I respect that, but I just love the way the Japanese language sounds. Plus I love the guitar, and Miyavi, the musician I went to see, is a fantastic guitarist.

I spent the day of the concert standing in line. Crazy right? Normally I am not the type of person to do that, but I had several friends that were going and so I went down to visit with them more than anything. It was so good to just sit and laugh on the street, meet new people and get excited together.

(Photo by Mika Chow)

I met some really wonderful girls that I pray I will get to meet again one day and in the end all the waiting paid off because we were right pressed up against the stage for the entire show, rocking our little hearts out and enjoying ourselves to the max. Definitely an experience I will never forget.

Friday was our last full day and it was spent exploring some more, wandering down to Granville Island and seeing the Emily Carr Art Institution which I think I appreciated more than Mike did, but it was fun to see. Then it was off back ‘home’ for our last night in town which we celebrated with a big barbeque. Souk loves to cook and he made the most amazing meal. I felt like I was eating a gourmet dinner… while sitting on the floor eating it with chop sticks because there were not enough forks.

Our last day we went out for breakfast again with a bunch of people this time, then it was time to go pack. A very daunting task. I am still amazed that I managed to fit everything in my suitcases, especially since on the way home from breakfast we saw this great little second hand bookstore and couldn’t resist buying… well lets just say more than just a few books.

Thankfully one of the people we met down there offered to bring us to the airport, but only after taking us for bubble tea first (I’m not sure that's an experience I am willing to repeat again) and off we went, with a short stop down at the beach in Richmond first.

All in all it was an amazing vacation. Full of good times, good people, and fun.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you had such a good time...Don't you just love vacations that turn out so well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do! and they don't always. But this one just turned out really good. My husband was sick for a few days, but he just took it easy and had fun too!

    ReplyDelete