Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Understanding

Do you ever wish you could go back to being a child? When things were simple and it was easy to have faith in people? I want to still be like that, and perhaps sometimes I am still naive because there are times I am still shocked by the hate and judgments of those around me.

Most of the time I simply don't understand.

I don't understand judging people and hating them because they have a different faith.
I don't understand judging people and hating them because they love someone of the same gender.
I don't understand judging people and hating them because they were born of a different race.
I don't understand judging people and hating them because they don't fit society's perception of normal.
I don't understand judging people and hating them because they aren't classically beautiful.

Then I realize that most of the time I realize I am just as guilty as everyone else.

I want to change that.

Tomorrow I am wearing purple for Spirit Day.

Spirit Day honors the teenagers who had taken their own lives in recent weeks. But just as importantly, it's also a way to show the hundreds of thousands of LGBT youth who face the same pressures and bullying, that there is a vast community of people who support them.
 - http://www.mountainx.com/blogwire/2010/wear_purple_tomorrow_for_spirit_day


I know its not a lot. But its something I can do.





1 comment: